A portfolio is a living, growing collection of a studentsí work- each addition is selected for a specific reason which the student will explain. The overall purpose of the portfolio is to enable the student to demonstrate to others learning and progress through the major. The greatest value of a portfolio is that in the course of building it, the student becomes an active participant in the learning process and its assessment.
1. A portfolio is a form of assessment of course work over time.
2. A portfolio is not just a collection; it is a selection of important pieces of work.
3. A portfolio shows growth over time, over the course of the studentsí years in the university.
4. A portfolio is assessed by both the professors in the program and the student individually.
5. The entries in the portfolio will show growth in all language domains/skills and in the chosen coursework of a student.